Selling a car

Article reviewed: 2013/01/23 | Next review due: 2014/08/11

Upon selling your car, you must notify the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) of the exact date at which you sold your vehicle, along with the relevant documentation and forms. Procedures must be followed by both buyer and seller for the vehicle to be properly transferred over by the DVLA.

You must notify the DVLA of the sale by completing the appropriate section of the registration certificate (logbook). This section will be different according to which document you have in your possession. It is also worth keeping a record of the buyer’s name and address.

V5 Registration Document - Two part form

If you have a two-part V5 registration document, complete the bottom of the document entitled ‘notice of sale transfer’, then detach and send that section to the DVLA in Swansea, SA99AR. You can give the buyer the upper part of the document and, if the vehicle is sold to a private person, remind the buyer that DVLA must be informed immediately that they have taken possession of the vehicle.

V5 Registration Document - Three part form

If you have a three-part V5 registration document it means that you must complete the blue section, and that you and the buyer must sign and send to the DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BA. You must also give the buyer the green section of the completed document. However, if you sell the vehicle to a dealer you must complete the red section of the document, have it signed by the dealer and mail it to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BD. The remaining sections of the document should be kept by the dealer.

V5C Registration Certificate (logbook)

If you have a V5C registration certificate, you must complete Section 6 with the names and address of the new owner. You must both sign Section 8 and send the completed form to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BA. You must also give the buyer the green section of the completed document, but if you sell your card to a dealership, you must complete the yellow section of the document and send it to SA99 1BD.

If you no longer have your registration certificate V5C

If you don't have a registration certificate you can still tell DVLA that you no longer have the vehicle.
To do this you will need to write to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AR giving the:

  • vehicle registration mark
  • make and model
  • exact date of sale
  • name and address of the new keeper

However, note that DVLA records won’t be complete until the new keeper tells DVLA in writing. Until they do, the police may need to contact you if they have to make enquiries about the vehicle.

Once you have informed the DVLA, you will receive a letter within a few weeks confirming that you are no longer the owner of said vehicle.

Tooltip information:

  • DVLA: Driver and vehicle licensing agency

0 Comments (Add your comment)

Add a comment:

First name:
email: ( Your email address is not given out and will remain private )

New at ?

Copyright © 2008-2016 Be a Londoner LLP