Inquiries and checking car information
Article reviewed: 2013/01/28 | Next review due: 2014/08/16
Enquiries by telephone
There are two premium rate telephone services that give vehicle information. Calls are charged at 49 pence per minute. Lines are open during the following times:
- Driver and Vehicle General lines - Monday to Friday 8.00 am to 7.00 pm; Saturday 8.00 am to 2.00 pm
- Electronic and Driver licensing online - Monday to Friday 8.00 am to 8.30 pm; Saturday 8.00 am to 5.30 pm
- The vehicle check service gives details of date of registration, year of manufacture, engine capacity (cc), CO2 emissions and confirmation of colour. Telephone number 0906 185 8585
- The date of liability (vehicle tax due date) line gives the expiry date of the current tax disc. Telephone number 0906 765 7585
Although the vehicle record is constantly updated, it's possible that an outstanding, vehicle tax application may be waiting processing and hasn't yet updated the vehicle record. The information given by this service will, in most instances, be correct but shouldn't be taken as confirmation that there's a current vehicle tax in force.
Private vehicle check companies
The DVLA provides information on the registration of vehicles to certain companies for consumer protection and anti-fraud purposes. Please be assured that no individual name or address details are provided.
The information may be added to by companies with details from the police, finance and insurance companies. The companies below are able to provide a vehicle checking service for the public and motor trade.
For information on prices and products you should contact them direct.
- CarweB Ltd, Pipers Business Centre, 220 Vale Road, Tonbridge, TN9 1SP. Telephone 01732 373 002. Fax: 01732 373 001.
- CDL Vehicle Information Services Limited, Strata House, Kings Reach Road, Stockport, SK4 2HD. Telephone: 08444 821 965. Fax: 01436 821 875.
- Experian, Talbot House, Talbot Street, Nottingham, NG1 5HF. Telephone 0870 6000 838. Fax: 0115 934 4105.
- HPI Limited, Dolphin House, P O Box 61, New Street, Salisbury, SP1 2TB. Telephone 01722 422 422. Fax: 01722 412 164.
- Vehicle Data Services Ltd,11 Somerset Place, Glasgow, G3 7JT. Telephone 0777 999 1921.
- DVLA: Driver and vehicle licensing agency