Buying a new or used car

Article reviewed: 2013/01/12 | Next review due: 2014/07/31

It is usually the seller of the vehicle who notifies the DVLA of it’s sale. The vehicle's registration is usually transferred with the car, however the seller may choose to keep it, if it is a personalized licence plate, for example.

V5 Registration Document - Two part form

You should submit this document when you buy the vehicle to notify the DVLA of your purchase. Note that you usually wouldn’t need to re-register the car on top of completing this form.

V5 Registration Document - Three part form

The DVLA should be advised when a vehicle changes hands. The person selling the vehicle must complete the top of the blue form with the buyer’s name and address. You and the seller must sign the declaration. It is the responsibility of the seller to send the document DVLA. You need to get complete and keep green section of the document.

V5C Registration Certificate (logbook)

The V5C Registration Certificate is more commonly known as the logbook and is issued to anyone who has registered or taxed their car.

  • The logbook lists many details about the vehicle, which you should check match the car itself
  • Carefully check the registration number and Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) matches the car in question
  • You’ll need to ensure the appropriate parts of the logbook are completed and sent to the DVLA.
  • You should retain the new keeper’s part of the document as this is your proof of ownership until the new, updated document is posted to you

The person selling the vehicle must complete Section 6 and the buyer must sign Section 8. The seller must send the form to the DVLA. You must keep the green section of the completed application form. The DVLA must be notified as soon as the vehicle has been sold.

If you buy a used car and the seller has no record of registration

If the seller has no V5 registration certificate or V5C you must register the vehicle in your name using the form to get a V62 'application for a registration certificate ". You can get one by downloading the form from the website, or from any DVLA office.

The DVLA will then provide you with a certificate of registration 2-4weeks later. If you requested a V62, it can take up to 6 weeks because of the additional checks. Once received, it is your responsibility to check that the information is correct.

Tooltip information:

  • DVLA: Driver and vehicle licensing agency

0 Comments (Add your comment)

Add a comment:

First name:
email: ( Your email address is not given out and will remain private )

New at ?

Copyright © 2008-2016 Be a Londoner LLP