The tenancy agreement
Article reviewed: 2013/01/10 | Next review due: 2014/07/29
By law a tenancy agreement can be either a written or verbal agreement, however it is standard practice to sign a written agreement.
Before you sign the agreement, make sure that the following details are included:
- Your name
- The property address
- Name and contact details of the landlord or agency managing the property
- The date the contract begins
- The term of your lease (e.g. 6 or 12 month lease)
- The exact amount of rent, how often it should be paid and when it can be increased. It can also be stated whether this amount includes other charges such as utility bills.
- If your landlord provides services such as laundry, maintenance of common areas, meals, and if so, what the costs are?
- When and how the tenant and/or landlord is able to give notice for departure
- Tenant: A person or group that rents and occupies land, a house, an office, or the like, from another for a period of time; lessee